Welders Without Borders Welding Sommelier Training and Certification Program
Draft © 12-21-2019 All Rights Reserved
Welders Without Borders: Welding Sommelier Training and Certification Program will become the global standard for the recognition of Welding professionals, knowledgeable in all aspects of the practical and theoretical joining and of metals.
Program will require the Welder to:
- Demonstrate understanding of welding and metal working safe practices
- Demonstrate mastery level understanding by written and oral examination of the evolution of metals in the advancement of the human experience.
- Identify significant understanding of the advances in the evolution of the tools and techniques used by at least two of the following (with one being a modern welder) Blacksmith, Silversmith, or Goldsmith in world history.
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts of fundamental ferrous metallurgy.
- Demonstrate fundamental understanding of quality control and inspection principles for destructive/non-destructive testing of weldments.
- Demonstrate understanding of the selection and set up of select modern welding equipment as used in industry within the past five years prior to completion of training and certification.
- Demonstrate ability to cut, shape, and weld by use of a forge, gas apparatus, arc welding equipment to achieve acceptable weldments for structural application. Must include at a minimum the modern arc welding processes for Shielded Metal Arc Welding, Gas Metal Arc Welding, Flux Core Arc Welding, Gas Tungsten Arc Welding.
- Complete a series of weld mastery test to demonstrate proficiency in three positions with each of four modern arce processes on two commercial alloy groups.
- Demonstrate fundamental use if taps, dies, machine tool operations using a drill press, vertical mill, horizontal engine lathe.
- Demonstrate ability to read and interpret shop drawings with accepted weld symbols.